Thursday, December 27, 2012

Book Review: Submerged

About the Book:
A sabotaged plane. Two dead deep-water divers. 

Yancey, Alaska was a quiet town . . . until the truth of what was hidden in the depths off the coast began to appear. 

Bailey Craig vowed never to set foot in Yancey again. She has a past, and a reputation--and Yancey's a small town. She's returned to bury a loved one killed in the plane crash and is determined not to stay even an hour more than necessary. But then dark evidence emerges and Bailey's own expertise becomes invaluable for the case. 

Cole McKenna can handle the deep-sea dives and helping the police recover evidence. He can even handle the fact that a murderer

has settled in his town and doesn't appear to be moving on. But dealing with the reality of Bailey's reappearance is a tougher challenge.

She broke his heart, but she is not the same girl who left Yancey. He let her down, but he's not the same guy she left behind. Can they move beyond the hurts of their pasts and find a future together?

My Review:
I honestly don't think that I chose to review this book because it sounded interesting. During the beginning of my "book-reviewing job" I chose every book and read the blurbs later. I can say that after reading it, I am pleased that I had selected Submerged for review. The plot, which included dangerous situations, adventurous outcomes and a dash of appropriate romance, held my attention until the very last word, leaving me wanting more. 

Dani Pettrey created a large cast of characters that, because of how she write this book, I could easily following along with each one's personality. Not only does the reader get an in-depth look into the lives of Bailey and Cole, but we also come to care for his siblings, Piper, Kayden, and Gage and the best friend, Landon. Bailey, Cole and the rest of the characters were all well-developed. Each was believable in their personalities and possessed human flaws. Bailey was by far my favorite character. As you read the book, you'll begin to get to know her. I was moved by how contrite she was but overjoyed when she let go of the hatred she had for herself because of her past.

Dani did an amazing job writing this story but I found the language to be a weak spot. The lingo was outdated, which made it seem unnatural and at times really awkward. For a contemporary novel, phrases like,"You need me to find what you seek." sounded odd and out of place.

I have already ordered Shattered and I hope I am able to receive it for review. If you like small-town stories or a dangerous, mystery, then you should give this book a try. Submerged is an honest look at God's grace and mercy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"And now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing. Fix your thoughts on what is true,and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise." PhilIppians 4:8

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a lovely note. I am really glad that your here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...