Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Book Review: Trauma Plan

via
Sidelined by injuries from a vicious assault, chaplain Riley Hale is determined to return to her former duties as an ER nurse. But how can she show she’s competent when the hospital won’t let her attempt even simple tasks? Determined to prove herself, Riley volunteers at a controversial urban free clinic despite her fears about the maverick doctor in charge.

Dr. Jack Travis defends his clinic like he’s commander of the Alamo. He’ll fight the community’s efforts to shut its doors, even if he must use Riley Hale’s influential family name to make it happen.

As Riley strives to regain her skills, Jack finds that she shares his compassion—and stirs his lonely heart. Riley senses that beneath Jack’s rough exterior is a man she can believe in. But when clinic protests escalate and questions surface about his past, Jack goes into battle mode and Riley wonders if it’s dangerous to trust him with her heart.

***

The evidence of a good book is generally in how quickly one feels compelled to read it. The quicker the better - even though it is bitter sweet to reach the end, you still can't wait to get there.

The blurb sounds really interesting/intriguing, huh? Trust me, when you actually pick this novel up, you won't be disappointed. Candace is an amazing author who knows exactly how to draw in her readers. I think that the development of Jack Travis and Riley Hale was brilliant. Great characters often have troubling pasts and Jack's past surely fits that script. I felt as though his past and story brought me in and kept me reading until the last word of the book. Of course, all of the other major and minor characters personality's shined as well. Especially Bandy Biggs's character. (if you have read this book: Didn't you just love the character Bandy Biggs?)

This is the first medical drama I have read. I half expected a medical scene played out, a little something like this, "Scalpel. Scalpel. Retractor. Retractor. Surgical stapler. Surgical stapler." or maybe a load of medical jargon that forced me to look up terms in a medical dictionary. I was pleasantly surprised that I was able to read through this novel and thoroughly enjoy the plot without any unnecessary interruptions.

My favorite books are the one that tug at your heart. The ones that make you silently lift up a prayer for struggling and heartbroken characters (even though you know that they aren't real). I found myself moved by Riley's faith, her constant struggle with disability and her  finally learning to trust God and His will for her life. Jack's life story is nothing short of one trial and tribulation after another. When he accepts Christ, his character changes from a bitter, anger management issue plagued person to one who really wants God in His life. Jack learns that God's plans are not a coincidence.

This is the first book I have read by Candace Calvert and I hope it wont be my last. Her writing here emanates good use of imagery. It was peppered with humor and plenty of laughable moments. It was a page turner, plain and simple! I'd rate this book my 5 star seal of approval:)

You can purchase this book at Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"And now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing. Fix your thoughts on what is true,and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise." PhilIppians 4:8

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a lovely note. I am really glad that your here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...