Saturday, February 16, 2013

Book Review: Unbreakable

About The Book:
Gentle and unassuming, Hope Kauffman has never been one to question the traditions of her Mennonite upbringing. She quietly helps her father run Kingdom Quilts and has agreed to the betrothal he arranged for her with the devout but shy Ebbie Miller.

Despite the attempts of Hope and other Kingdom residents to maintain the status quo, changes have already begun to stir in the small Mennonite town. The handsome and charismatic Jonathon Wiese is the leader of the move to reform, while Ebbie insists Kingdom must remain true to its foundation. When Hope's safety is threatened by a mysterious outsider, she can't help but question what she's always been taught about the Mennonite tradition of nonviolence.

As it swiftly becomes apparent the threat Hope faced is only the beginning, the town that's always stood so strong finds itself divided. With tensions high and their lives endangered by an unknown enemy, will Hope and the people of Kingdom allow fear and division to break them or will they draw on the strength of the God they serve?

My Review:
Allow me to begin this review by stating that Unbreakable was such a joy to read! Its flow, characters, suspense and romance challenged that of it's prequel Inescapable and in my opinion surpassed it completely.

Nancy Mehl did a phenomenal job weaving the Mennonite code of nonviolence into this book. She presented both sides of the argument and with characters who exercise "trusting in God" in different ways, I enjoyed looking at the debate from two distinct points of view.

I was also pleased at the level of spirituality I found when reading Unbreakable. It shows how truly devoted some people are to their faith, despite the fact that the world around them is changing. Each member of the community is bent on doing exactly what God wills them to do and I found such a demonstration of complete surrender to Him encouraging. Another encouraging aspect of the book was an illustration of the biblical call to "turn the other cheek." Doing so shows humility and full dependence on the Lord. Can I get an amen?!

The characters in this book were appealing, relatable, and intriguing. I felt that I could relate to Hope's indecisive spurts, not in the aspect of choosing a husband but when it comes time to make difficult decisions for myself. Ebbie Miller is one of my all-time favorite characters! Though I imagine him to be slightly nerd-ish and nasal, his character and personality reflect that of Christ. I was touched by Eddie's unconditional and unwavering love for Hope. 

In my experience, stories told in the first person point of view are sometimes more difficult to read, as I discovered when reading Inescapable. But, the first person writing here didn't hinder my reading experience; I think it improved it in allowing me to go "inside" of Hope's mind and understand her thoughts and actions

I give Unbreakable 5 out of 5 stars! The suspense was gratifying and constantly leaving me "over the edge." It kept me guessing and at times holding my breath. This is a story that will keep you turning pages until the end and leave you wanting for more! Characters with heart, soul, and relatable flaws allow the reader to connect. And who couldn't love the little town of Kingdom or the poor dog who immediately grabs your heart?

I received this book from LitFuse Publicity in exchange for my unbiased, honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"And now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing. Fix your thoughts on what is true,and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise." PhilIppians 4:8

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a lovely note. I am really glad that your here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...