Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Modesty Series: Questions and Answers About Attire

As young ladies set apart for God, modesty is very important to us. Sometimes, deciding whether an outfit or hair do is modest can be challenging. Here are my answers to the two most commonly asked questions.

Judgement-free Zone: 
As I write these answers to common modesty questions, I pray that I don't offend anyone. I want to make it unmistakably clear that I am not judging. I am only basing my answers on scripture, personal convictions and experiences. If you agree or disagree with anything I write, feel free to email me or comment below. I'd really love to hear what you all think about modesty.

How short is too short? How tight is too tight?
Think of the children’s rhyme: Head, shoulders, knees and toes.

So now, stand in front of a mirror and…
Put you hands on your HEAD. Does your waist show (front or back)?

Put your hands on your SHOULDERS. Check that your shoulders are covered, and your neckline is not too low.

Look at your KNEES
They should be covered.

Okay, now put your hands on your KNEES Can you see down the front of your top to your undergarments, chest, or even *gasp* your belly button? Yikes!

Bend over and touch your TOES. Does your back show?

Pretty good, eh? Check out more great tests to see if your outfit is modest here

I've heard that as young ladies, we must be modest with our hair. How can that be?
In the Bible we read of modesty. We read of how we are to dress and do our hair.

I also want women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or expensive clothes,
1 Timothy 2:9

As you read that verse, you may have stopped and thought, "What!?! No braids?!?" Back in Paul's day, braids were the hair-do of a harlot. Now, times have changed and braids are very common among girls. When you do your hair, do the style because you like it and not because you saw the newest teen pop sensation does that do. Also, don't put your hair in elaborate styles to grab others attention. That's called vanity, girls!

God carefully made you. He decided on your hair color, your eye color and everything else that makes you unique. Ask God to tell you whether something is appropriate or not, He will clearly tell you:)

5 comments:

  1. I agree with this post 99.9 percent. :) I agree with everything except for the shorts should be covering your knees. I have shorts that don't, but thy are pretty modest. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post kianna. I agree 100%. Like the head shoulders knees and toes method.

    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi its Gianna! I'm getting my first blog starting, and I'd love for you to come see it! There is actually a contest going on right now so you need to come check it out!
    www.randocology.blogspot.com
    xoxo
    Gianna

    ReplyDelete
  4. that is a good post!
    would you like to guest post on mine?

    http://rachelsblog-rachael.blogspot.ca/
    --Rachel s

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I agree with Emma. I, too, have shorts that don't cover my knees and they are still modest. I'm not the kind of girl that wears skirts all the time (just because I'm active and like to be able to move freely), and in the summer I don't want to wear jeans because it's hot, hot, hot where I live...so I wear bermuda shorts and shorts that are a little bit higher-cut than bermudas (as well as occasionally capris, which do cover the knees). My knees may not be covered, but nothing immodest is showing.

    Still, the "head, shoulders, knees, and toes" thing is a good method. :)

    God bless you!
    Joy :)

    ReplyDelete

"And now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing. Fix your thoughts on what is true,and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise." PhilIppians 4:8

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a lovely note. I am really glad that your here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...