As the last few days of school approach, it isn't difficult to picture the perfect summer. We think of fun in the sun, drinking soda pop and running through the sprinklers. Basically, we picture a lazy summer. We plan to prop our feet up and just chill because school is out and homework is a thing of the past. No, no, no. There is no such things as lazy summers. At least not this summer.
Being a teenager myself, I don't like being bored. I like to be doing something every minute of the day. "I'm just going to sit down and relax" is not in my vocabulary. Busy-bee me has thought of a few ways to enhance your summer fun, other than being a full fledged couch potato.
1. Read a book: Yes, they still print books. Not everyone has resorted to e-readers... yet. Have you considered any of these titles?
2. Clean your room. I'm sure that you've stashed a few things under your bed, beside your night table and in your closet in a mad dash to pick out your school clothes. Take a few minutes a day to tidy things up each day.
3. Spend time with your siblings. When your in school (or being homeschooled) there isn't much time for fun and games with the kiddos. Set apart a few hours to play with your little sister or brother. Let them choose a game or sport and let them dictate the rules. No need to enforce the "big sister says so" motto.
4. Learn to do something new. Try pushing yourself out of your comfort zone and try to learn something new. Maybe try learning to play an instrument or take up a new hobby.
5. Volunteer at a local food bank, nursing home, or other charitable cause. Doing something for another person is very rewarding. We shouldn't expect to receive praise from man, but from God. He will reward us.
"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of
these brothers of mine, you did for me.'"
6. Get crafty. During the summer, we take so many photographs. Print a few of your favorite shots and make a scrapbook.
What are some fun things that you're doing this summer? I'd love to hear from you! Here's a list of more great ideas.
What am I going to be doing this summer? Stay tuned for a series of fun summer time posts, photos and ideas!